Sunday, June 1, 2014

Happy Birthday Ryan! Part 1



I have been working on this for over a year, didn't finish it like I wanted. Ryan's writer either misplaced his notes for the story or never wrote it down. I couldn't figure out where I wanted to take it. Sooooooo enjoy part 1, maybe I'll have part 2 ready by 2015 or Ryan's birthday, November 26.

I used to hate my birthday, well, not exactly; I did love the delicious cake, scrumptious ice cream and ice cold Coca-Cola as well as the presents. However, my birthday always coincided with the beginning of the dreaded Atlantic basin hurricane season. June 1 would always bring out the worse in the Miami media, they would sensationalize the season by stating that if I didn’t watch their show that night that I might die. This is why I hated my birthday.

It was nonstop of that dreaded infamous nine letter “H” word. The Miami Herald would fire the first salvo of the season with a big announcement heralding the beginning of the season on the front page. There was no escaping it, the weatherman would join in on the early AM shows. It would continue on the radio, it was a continual blitzkrieg of narcissist drivel.

There was no escape from the hurricane hysteria, not even in the sports page. The Miami Herald had a ditzy dizzy blonde reporter write an article about how the Miami Hurricanes needed to change their name. She asked, “"How can we ever give a heartfelt cheer for the Hurricanes again?" Would someone please tell her hurricanes have been kissing Fort Dallas/Miami before 1896!

1993 was the year things escalated, one year removed from the buzz saw that was Hurricane Andrew. Bryan Norcross, the hero of Hurricane Andrew, would come on TV reminding you that he was the hero of the Hurricane Andrew. You flipped the channel to that sensational station that featured Rick Sanchez and Sally Fitz, Rick would look at the screen with his smug puss trying to be ultra-cool as he spoke, “You know, you’re going to die if you don’t watch our hurricane special tonight.” At times I thought this over hyped duo was about to climb atop their desk and scream, “The hurricane is coming! The hurricane is coming! Run for the hills, the hurricane is coming!” Don Noe knows nothing rounded up the nauseating migraine.

I’m digressing away from my birthday so I’ll end this part. Bryan Norcross graduated to the Weather Channel where you can see him periodically talking about Hurricane Andrew. Sally Fitz resigned to be with her husband. Rick Sanchez was picked up, dropped by MSNBC and CNN. The ditzy dizzy blond still writes for the Miami Herald. As for Don Noe? I don’t know.

No comments:

Post a Comment